The Shipwreck of the Edward Stewart

7 Mar 1916

From the Bangor Daily News


Former Bangor Craft on Rocks at Cranberry Island

(Special to the Bangor Daily News)

ISLESFORD, March 7.  -- At daybreak this morning the three-masted schooner Edward Stewart, Capt. Dobbin, Port Johnson for St. John, N. B., with coal, was discovered anchored close in to the breakers on the southern side of the island, having been blown off her course and lost her bearings in the heavy snowstorm and gale of last night.  She was in shoal water and attempts to get way on her and work out were useless.

With the ebb tide she grounded and with the heavy sea running soon stove a hole in her bottom and she filled.  The captain signalled the coast guard crew station at Cranberry Isles and the seven men on board were taken off in the surf-boat without much difficulty.

It is believed that the vessel and cargo will be a total loss.

The Stewart is a three-master of 353 tons, net register, and was built at Hathorn's yard in Brewer for T. J. Stewart & Co. in 1883 and later owned by the Stetson interests.  She was for a long time commanded by Capt. Kent.  She now hails from Machias, where she is mostly owned.

Return home___